St Louis Police Veteran's Association 
 City of St Louis Metropolitan Police Department 
 City of Saint Louis Missouri 

September 21, 1808
First established recorded patrol in Saint Louis Missouri.
November 9, 1809
A vote by the citizens approved and incorporation of the City of Saint Louis.
February 9, 1811
An ordinance was passed establishing the Protectors of the Peace.
The Town's first police force was established called the Police City Guard.
It was originally four unpaid volunteers, who served on a rotating basis.
Able-bodied men age 18 and older were required to patrol for four months of the year.
This was the only police system for the next 10 years.
Refusal to serve on patrol carried a fine of $1.
1818
First Police City Guard Captain appointed and paid $400 annually,
and police increased to 6 officers.
Two officers were specifically assigned to night patrol.
1826
The Police City Guard expanded by appointing a new captain and 26 new lieutenants.
In addition to patrol duties, patrolmen had to ring the church bells
at 10:00pm during the summer months and 9:00pm during the rest of the year.
1839
The Police City Guard saw more growth with the addition of with 16 more officers .
Part of their duties included announcing "Twelve o'clock and all's well" at midnight.
The Police Guard, functioning to support the night watch, consisted of two officers on the night watch.
One of the two officers being a one-armed man by the name of
Gabes Warner who held the position of Police City Guard Night Chief.
August 7, 1846
The birthdate of the St. Louis Police Department of Police.
The Board of Aldermen passed an ordinance organizing the old City Guard, the City Marshall, Day Police
and the "Keeper of the Calaboose" together into a City Saint Louis Police Department.
The Police Department was reorganized to assign a captain, six lieutenants, and 48 officers to the night watch.
The Police Department had three districts, the First was south, the Second (Central) and the Third was north.
April 5, 1856
A new ordinance, Regulating the Police Department of the City of St. Louis, took effect on the first Monday in June.
It called for 1 chief of police, 2 captains, and 4 assistant captains.
The rank of lieutenant was eliminated and replaced by the rank of sergeant.
The rank of private was also eliminated and replaced by the rank of policeman.
The ordinance authorized 8 sergeants and 120 policemen divided into two divisions, the night guard and the day guard.
The first Chief of Police was Daniel A. Rawlings.
St. Louis city directories before 1856 list his occupation as “wood merchant.”
Rawlings was chief of police until 1861.
March 27, 1861
This is considered the start of the modern Saint Louis Police Metropolitan Department.
The St. Louis Police Department was put under state control by order of the state legislature,
which was largely pro-southern, because the mayor and populous of St. Louis were pro-Union.
Power over the police was placed with a Board of Commissioners appointed by the governor,
which is how it is to this day.
Thus at the same time, James McDonough
became St. Louis' first Police Chief of Police under Missouri State Control.
Photo of Saint Louis Police Chief of Police James McDonough !
During his tenure, Chief McDonough, about 44 years of age, held the position
for six months from April 10, 1861 to September 18, 1961,
and was afterward twice reappointed, holding the position
from September 30, 1870 to March 10 1874
and from December 1, 1875 to June 8, 1881.
From 1843 to 1846 he was the Captain of the City Guard.
His connection with the Saint Louis Police Department lasted a period of thirty-eight years.
Interestingly, he neither sought nor expected the position,
but was considered by most to be the best qualified for the job,
as he ran a successful private detective agency.
March 1865
Photo of Saint Louis Police Officer's Badge prior to 1923 Saint Louis Police Department !
The Star Badge was introduced for patrolman.
The star badge was designed and produced by the
Haskell Engraving Company at 713 Olive Street.
The other ranks had other badges.
In May 1873 the Sergeants were issued shields or badges based on seniority.
The present Police Badge was adopted in 1923.
1866
Police Department increased to 225 officers.
A new program to combat crime on steamboats was put into action.
Steamboat captains would pay the Department $1/day to have an officer assigned to their boat.
April 9, 1866
Police Department purchased the "Black Maria", a wagon with barred windows, to transport prisoners.
The expansion of St. Louis was making it too difficult for patrolmen to walk their suspects back to jail.
June 1886
Read about Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Pension System and Relief Association ! Read the history of the Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Pension System and Relief Association Read about Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Pension System and Relief Association !
August 1878
Saint Louis Police Officers received one day month off without deduction of pay
and were allowed to wear civilian dress on their day off.
Prior to this date the officers had to wear their police uniform at all times.
March 28, 1901
Read about Early Black Police Officer History ! Saint Louis Police Department Early Black Police Officer History Read about Early Black Police Officer History !
Photo of Saint Louis 2004 Centennial Badge Saint Louis Police Department !
Early Years
The Police Department Headquarters was located at 220 Chestnut
and in 1872 the Police Department Headquarters was moved and located in the Four Courts Building.
The police building at 220 Chestnut became a sub station for the Second Police District.
The offices of the Chief of Police, Police Commissioners, rooms for the Detectives
and the Central Police District were in the Four Courts Building.
March 15, 1907
The three platoon system was introduced to the Saint Louis Police Department.
1923
Photo of Saint Louis Police Department badge adopted 1923 !
The present City of Saint Louis Police Officer's badge was adopted in 1923.
1925
A one year patrolman made $2,160.00 a year.
1940
Saint Louis Police Department Chain of Command
Photo of 1940 Saint Louis Police Department Chain of Command !
1957
The police department introduced Department Serial Numbers ( DSN ).
A one year police officer made $4,600.00 a year.
March 11, 1960
The department restructured the command structure and reduces the police districts from twelve to nine.
1963
The City of Saint Louis Police Department introduced the forty ( 40 ) hour week.
November 2, 1966
The City of Saint Louis Police Department sponsored the first Detoxification Center.
The Detoxification Center was funded by a $160.000.00 grant from the Federal Government.
September 1, 2013
On Sunday, September 1, 2013, St. Louis City Hall officially took control of the
St. Louis Police Department for the first time since 1861.
Around the time of the Civil War, politicians decided the police department would be
governed by a State of Missouri approved board and that law was in effect for 152 years.
The state gained control over the police department on March 27, 1861 in a move aimed
at thwarting Union sympathizers in St. Louis during the lead up to the Civil War.
On November 6, 2012, Missouri voters approved an Initiative, Proposition A,
to return to local control of the Saint Louis Police Department to the the City of Saint Louis.
January 27, 2014
On Monday, January 27th at 4AM in the morning, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
consolidated its coverage, going from nine police districts to six.
Approximately 850 officers have been reassigned to new districts,
and the department's computers and radio system had to be reprogrammed
Photo of Saint Louis Police Insignia of Rank !
Photo
of
Central District and Police Headquarters
208 South Twelfth Street
City of Saint Louis Police Department
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Saint Louis Police Central District and Headquarters !
Central District and Police Headquarters
208 South Twelfth Street
In 1907 the Police Department would move from the Four Courts Building
to a new this new building.
The Police Headquarters would again move in 1927 to the 1200 Clark.
This building became the offices of the City of Saint Louis Board of Election Commissioners.
This building was razed circa 1996 to become later the new Justice Center at 200 South Tucker.
Photo
of
Police Headquarters
1200 Clark
City of Saint Louis Police Department
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Saint Louis Police Headquateres Saint Louis Police Department in the 1927's !
Photo of Saint Louis Police Headquateres Saint Louis Police Department in the 1930's !
Photo of Saint Louis Police Headquateres Saint Louis Police Department !
Photo of Saint Louis Police Headquateres Complex Saint Louis Police Department !
Erected 1927
Photo circa 2008
The City of Saint Louis Police Headquarters
1200 Clark at Tucker
Photo of future home Saint Louis Police Headquateres Complex Saint Louis Police Department !
Erected 1990
Photo circa 2011
The future home of the
City of Saint Louis Police Headquarters
1915 Olive between N 20th & 19th Street
Price $2.7 million
CITY SAINT LOUIS METROPOLITAN POLICE DEPARTMENT ADDRESSES' TIME LINE

METROPOLITAN
Headquarters and Districts

CITY of SAINT LOUIS
Known Years

POLICE DEPARTMENT
Known Locations and Addresses

POLICE HEADQUARTERS

1861 to 1872
1872 to 1907
1907 to 1927
1927 to
future

220 Chestnut
Four Courts 1100 block Clark
208 South Twelfth
1200 Clark
1905 Olive

CENTRAL DISTRICT

1861 to 1872
1872 to 1907

1907 to 1927
1927 to March 11, 1960
Prior to March 11, 1960
March 11, 1960

220 Chestnut ( known as Second District )
Four Courts 1100 block Clark
220 Chestnut became sub station of Central District
208 South Twelfth
1200 Clark
Central used 8th call letters on police dispatching
Central District discontinued

FIRST DISTRICT

1861 to 1867
April 8, 1867 to 1876
1867 built
1870
1876 to 1931
1931 to 1990
1990 to

Fourth and Fifth ( torn down for the new Chouteau Avenue )
Carondelet ( Broadway ) between Soulard and Lafayette
Sub Station - Lafayette Park
City of Carondelet annexed
7301 Pennsylvania at Robert
909 Holly Hills at Colorado
3157 Sublette

SECOND DISTRICT

1861 to 1866
1866 to 1872
sub station June 30, 1870 was at

1873 to 1937
1937 to 1990
1990 to

220 Chestnut ( known as Central District )
between Seventh and Eighth on Wyoming
2801 Laclede at Leffingwell
( know later as 2835 Market or 2837 Manchester )
3126 South Ninth in 1902 same as Eighth and Wyoming
2634 Hampton
3157 Sublette

THIRD DISTRICT

April 1865 to 1876

1876 to 1937

1937 to 1990
1990 to

North Seventh and Carr
substation at 2600 Dayton at Jefferson
714 Soulard
Sub Station - Lafayette Park
2727 South Twelfth
3157 Sublette

FOURTH DISTRICT

April 1865 to 1867
1867 to 1897

1897 to 1925
1925 to 1962
1962 to 1990
1990 to

Twelfth and Monroe
2322-32 Tenth and North Market
substation at 900 Angelia at North Ninth
North Seventh and Carr
1100 North Tenth and Carr
1200 Clark
919 North Jefferson

FIFTH DISTRICT

1867 to 1893
1876
1893 to 1938
1938 to 1990
1990 to

Mounted Patrol 2835 Market
City Saint Louis expanded to present boundaries
2322-32 North Tenth at North Market
1901 Penrose
919 North Jefferson

SIXTH DISTRICT

prior to 1891
March 1880
June 1891
1891
1930 to 1990
1990 to

900 Angelia at North Ninth
Land was donated by citizens to city for police station
4548 Easton at Deer southeast corner ( same as 1430 Deer )
substation Fairground and O'Fallon parks
5076 North Florrisant
4014 North Union

SEVENTH DISTRICT

1901 to 1962
1962 to 1966
1966 to 1973
1973 to 1990
1990 to January 27, 2014
January 27, 2014

2800 South Grand at Magnolia
1430 Deer
1300 North Union
5240 Enright
4014 North Union
Seventh District discontinued

EIGHTH DISTRICT

1880 to 1936
in 1925
1936 to 1990
Prior to 1962
1990 to January 27, 2014
January 27, 2014

2801 Laclede at Leffingwell and with the address change
2837 Manchester which was the same city lot
1430 Deer
Central used 8th call letters
4014 North Union
Eighth District discontinued

NINTH DISTRICT

1880 to 1936
1936 to 1990
1990 to January 27, 2014
January 27, 2014

2600 Dayton at Jefferson
3021 Lucas
919 North Jefferson
Ninth District discontinued

TENTH DISTRICT

1880 to 1936
1936 to 1962
March 11, 1960

4548 Easton same as 1430 Deer same city lot
1430 Deer same as 4548 Easton same city lot
Tenth District discontinued

ELEVENTH DISTRICT

July 1905 to 1962
March 11, 1960

14 North Newstead
Eleventh District discontinued

TWELFTH DISTRICT

1908 to 1962
March 11, 1960

1300 North Union
Twelfth District discontinued

PATROL SUPPORT
Traffic Safety - Mounted Patrol -
Mobile Reserve - Canine - Housing
Aviation - Public Transportation

Traffic - Prior to 1925
Traffic - Prior to 1939
Prior to 1990
1990 to

208 South Twelfth
1200 Clark Room 106-107
Fiftheenth and Spruce
4213 Gibson

MOUNTED PATROL DISTRICT

March 13, 1867

1867 to 1875
April 20, 1875 to August 1, 1893


late 1930's
August 1, 1893 till late 1930's
1876
August 1878
1876
1896
1896
1896
1900's
April 9, 1948
April 3, 1971

Police Mounted Patrol Established
Each district had Mounted Stables
Second District sub station 2801 Laclede at Leffingwell
2835 Market ( known as Fifth District in 1889 ) and later
the address on the same city lot changed to 2837 Manchester
when Market west of Jefferson was renamed Manchester
area of Manchester from Jefferson to Vandenventer demolished
Main Mounted District at Clayton in Forest Park
Sub-Station center of Forest Park at Main and Union
Sub-Station main entrance Fair Gounds Park
Sub-Station Gravois and Arsenal
Sub-Station Virginia and Meramec
Sub-Station 2720 Clifton
Sub-Station 8325 North Broadway
Sub-Station Grand and Lafayette
Mounted District discontinued
Mounted Patrol reestablished again


Saint Louis Police Department's Headquaters
Prisoner Processing Holdover
of the
Holy Cell # 8 of Christ
second floor at the
Police Headquarters
City Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Saint Louis Police Department's Cell 8!
This is a symbol of the police department's past.
An unknown occupant in the early 1930s left a mark that is still on display today.
The unkown person drew a 3 1/2 foot picture of the Crucifixion of Jesus.
It's unclear what was used to do it, perhaps pencil, crayon, a chunk of black shoe heel or even grease,
according to a host of theories.
The reflections of the cell's bars are reflecting on to the walls of the metal cell of the undone left arm.
The drawing was cut from the wall in the 1960s and placed in the Police Library, where it hangs on display 2012.
Photo
of
Police Officer Erma Bergmann
City of Saint Louis Police Officer
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Saint Louis Police Department's Police Officer Erma Bergmann !
Police Officer Erma Bergmann
From 1954 to 1981 Erma Bergmann served as a Police Officer on the Saint Louis Police Department
This is the Saint Louis Police Department's own Ball Playing Celebrity
Missouri Sports of Baseball Hall of Fame for 2007
This honor is a fitting tribute to a Ball Player and Police Woman who came by her success in an own way .
Voices of Erma Bergmann! Voices of Erma Bergmann Voices of Erma Bergmann!
In 1936 there were 22 Police Women on the Saint Louis Police Department,
those Police Women were given badges, but were not issued either guns or uniforms .
In July 26, 1951 the Police Women were given the power of arrest and received full status as police officers .
In 1973 the first woman was promoted to Sergeant .
In 1987 the first woman was promoted to Lieutenant .
In 1993 the first woman was promoted to Captain .
In 2009 the first woman was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel .

Saint Louis Police Department's own Movie Celebrity Patrolman Melburm Stein
Read about
Read about Retired Police Officer Melbum Stein and The Great St Louis Bank Robbert! Police Officer Melbum Stein and The Great St Louis Bank Robbery on April 24, 1953 Read about Retired Police Officer Melbum Stein and The Great St Louis Bank Robbert!
Saint Louis Police Department's own 1920s and 1930s Singing Police Officer Arthur Neely
Read about
Read about Singing Police Officer Arthur Neely or Arthur Nealy! Police Officer Arthur Neely or Stage Name Arthur Nealy Read about Singing Police Officer Arthur Neely or Arthur Nealy!

  Return To  

Saint Louis Police Veteran's Association Home Web Page!   [  Saint Louis Police Veteran's Historical Illustrated Photos Main Page   ]   Saint Louis Police Veteran's Association Home Web Page!