St Louis Police Veteran's Association City of St Louis Metropolitan Police Department City of Saint Louis Missouri Photo of Four Courts Building Location bounded by Clark to Spruce and Eleventh to Twelfth with the front of the building on Clark and other City Office Buildings in the rear on Spruce Saint Louis Missouri
Completed in 1871
Photo circa 1902
Standing on this site was the Henri Chouteau's Mansion which had to be demolished for the new
Four Courts Building .
Four Courts Building in 1877 from Missouri History Museum .
The name Four Courts came from the
Four Courts Building in Dublin Ireland .
The building had frontage of 330 feet on Clark with a depth of 75 feet ,
to which is added a semi-circular Jail in the rear on Spruce .
The building cost $750,000.00 and was built of cream sandstone in modified renaissance style .
The architect was Thomas W. Walsh .
It was reported the building was architecturally modeled after the
Palace of the Louvre in France .
The Four Courts was a three stories high building with a basement and divided into five sections .
The building consisted of a central section adorned with columns and
surrounded by a large rectangular dome, two cupola divisions at the ends
and the received portion between these .
In the Four Courts building was the Criminal Court, the Court of Criminal Correction on the third floor ,
The Police Courts, the Grand Jury Rooms, City Marshal, City Sheriff are the first floor,
along with the offices of the Circuit and Prosecuting Attorneys .
The Police Headquarters were located on the second floor divided into twelve apartment for the
actual daily service of the Chief of Police and officers of the department and where the Rougues Gallery is located .
In the basement is the armory and the blue-coats go through the evolution of daily drills for their duty watch .
The Police Stables were on the Twelfth street side where the hoodlum wagon was kept .
The Dead Animal Contractor's office was on the Eleventh street side of the building .
The Coroner's office was at the corner of Eleventh and Clark .
The Morgue was located at the corner of Twelfth and Spruce .
Photo of interior Four Courts Jail Saint Louis Missouri
Photo circa 1902
This amphitheatre was reached by passing through the main building of the Four Courts Building
and forms the City of Saint Louis Jail which was a shell of iron of the most approved pattern .
The jail was in the immediate rear of the building and had a capacity of 325 prisoners .
The jail structure was built in circular form with the cells arranged next to the walls on the east,
west and south side, thus leaving room for a large court to afford the prisoners ample room for exercise .
Rooms of detention for females was in an area on the third floor of the Four Courts Building .
Between the jail and morgue on Spruce was the open jail yard with the gallows, a grim gibbet, used for executions .
The gallows was a building that had an arched roof and stood on stilts .
The area below the floor of the scaffold was plainly visible .
The execution party would have to first walk across the yard and then up a seven wooden steps .
The Saint Louis City Sheriff read the death warrants and a noose was placed around the prisoner's neck .
The gallows' trapdoor where the prisoners stood dropped and the execution was completed .
Physicians declared the person dead and their bodies were removed to the Morgue in the same complex .
Some of the equipment used for executions were placed on the police exhibit at the 1904 World Fair .
All executions were performed by the City Sheriff and within the jail yard, with a glimpse from the cell windows of the jail .
Executions by hanging were regular public events during the first half of the United States history .
On these momentous occasions invitations not to exceed two hundred were issued to those to whom the Sheriff seen fit .
In the 1890s, about 90 percent of all executions were held in the county or city in which the offense was committed .
That put arrangements into the hands of sheriffs, who could make the gallows for hanging as public as they cared to .
In 1938 Missouri ended executions by hangings and ordering that all executions be carried out in the
gas chamber at the old Missouri State Penitentiary in Jefferson City .
The old City of Saint Louis Workhouse was located at the southwest corner of Meramec and Broadway .
The Meramec and Broadway was built in 1853 on the city commons comprising fifty acres of ground .
The Meramec and Broadway City of Saint Louis Workhouse was demolished in the sixties .
In the early days of Saint Louis the City Jail was located at Sixth and Chestnut .
During the Civil War from 1863 and 1864 there was a Gratiot Street Prison .
Pages of the Civil War Saint Louis History and the Gratiot Street Prison EVERY DAY OFFENSES
Violations of the Laws in the City of Saint Louis Missouri Representing one's self as an officer of the law .
Refusing to " Move On " for a police officer .
Loitering on street corners .
Disturbing the peace by loud noises .
Serenading in the street .
Rude or indecent behavior in or near a house of worship .
Fast Driving on the street .
Driving fast over the bridges .
Riding or driving an animal with bell or bells .
Driving a sleigh without bells .
Playing ball or indulging in other sport on the street that may frighten horse .
Turing on a false alarm of fire .
Ringing a bell to attract attention to an auction or anything else .
Carrying concealed weapons .
Drunk on the street .
Swimming in the river or any city pond .
Tying horse to a lamp post .
Frequenting a bawdy house or being found in a house of ill-repute .
Photo Patrolman H. W. Jones Saint Louis Missouri
H. M. Jones Patrolman
St. Louis, Missouri.
A member of the Metropolitan Police Force of St. Louis for the nine years prior to 1884 .
Patrolman H. M. Jones was the author of St. Louis Illustrated .
It was the Saint Louis Police Chief's object to make a
for ready reference ,
a pocket reference of the Directory of St. Louis Illustrated .
Directory of St. Louis Illustrated was a publication of the Saint Louis Police Department .
Describing all places of Public Resort, a Street Railroad Guide and all Points of Interest in Saint Louis Missouri .
The price of the illustrated version was 50¢ in 1884 .
Published by and bounded by Bedktold and Company, 200 to 212 Pine Street
Patrolman H. M. Jones gave a vivid description in words of the
Four Courts Building, the Jail and Violations of the Laws in 1884 .
You can download the full text of the
"Police guide and directory of St. Louis." A pocket directory to all places of public resorts and street railroad guide to all points of interest.
Henry M. Jones
Police guide and directory of St. Louis
1902 Photo of Central District Police Officers
Look at the uniforms worn by the Saint Louis Police Officers .
1902 Photo of Central District Police Officers Broadway Squad or so-called "Ladies' Platoon"
Look at the uniforms worn by the Saint Louis Police Officers Broadway Squad .
The Police Uniforms of the regular police officers are different from the Broadway Squads .
The Broadway Squad began patrolling downtown Saint Louis April 22, 1875 .
The Broadway Squad was an elite body of Police Officers selected to impress the downtown citizens and visitors of the city .
The qualification was that the Police Officer had to be well versed and six foot tall or taller .
They wore white gloves and had tassels attached to their police night sticks .
In the early years prior to 1872 the Police Department Headquarters was located at 220 Chestnut .
Chestnut Street Police Station and the Story of Stagger Lee In 1872 the Police Department Headquarters was moved and located in the Four Courts Building .
The police building at 220 Chestnut became a sub station for the Second Police District .
The offices of the Chief of Police, Police Commissioners, rooms for the Detectives
and the Central Police District were in the Four Courts Building .
In 1907 the Police Department would move from the Four Courts Building to a new building .
The Four Courts Building was closed and razed circa 1907 .
Photo Police Headquarters and Central District Saint Louis Missouri
Police Headquarters and Central District
208 South Twelfth Street
Built circa 1907
This building was razed circa 1996 .
The Police Headquarters would again move in 1927 to the present location,
1200 Clark at Twelfth ( now Tucker ) .
Photo First District Police Court and Police Patrol Stables Saint Louis Missouri
First District Police Court and Police Patrol Stables
This building replaced the Courts and Stables located in the razed Four Courts Building .
This building was razed circa 1996 .
In 2008 a new parking garage is being constructed on this site .
Photo Kiel Opera House Saint Louis Missouri
Photo circa nineteen forties
Southwest corner Fourteenth and Market
The Kiel served as the Saint Louis Police Court I and II after the Kiel Opera House closed .
Where the Kiel Opera House stands was once a street named Targee Street .
The Story of 212 Targee and Targee's Association to Four Courts Photo Criminal Courts Saint Louis Missouri
Photo circa 2008
Southeast corner Fourteenth and Market
Photo circa 1911
Photo Civil Courts and Pierre Laclede statue Saint Louis Missouri
Photo circa 1932
10 North Tucker ( Twelfth ) at Market
Rising 255 feet tall above ground level and occupied June 21, 1930 .
The pyramidal-shaped roof of the building is made of cast aluminum .
An eagle is perched at each of the four corners of the building above the colonnade .
The Southwestern Bell Telephone Building is in the background .
Photograph by W C Person .
Missouri History Museum Photographs and Print Collection Public Buildings N10689 .
The City of Saint Louis Police Memorial is now located in front of this building dedicated 1989 .
Photo U S Courts and Customs and 1114 Market Saint Louis Missouri
now the home of the Saint Louis Criminal Courts
Photo Coroner's Building Saint Louis Missouri
Coroner's Building and now Medical Examiner
Photo Justice Center Building Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Saint Louis Justice Center Building on Tucker