St Louis Police Veteran's Association 
 City of St Louis Metropolitan Police Department 
 City of Saint Louis Missouri 

St. Louis Mounted Police Patch !
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse
 !
Shakespeare "King Richard III" Act V, Scene 4, 1.7
In 1867 the Saint Louis Police Department saw the need to begin the first Police Mounted Patrol ,
and formed under the direction of Chief William Finn with the goal to prevent robberies on the outshirs of the city .
Each Police District Police Station and sub station had a Police Horse Stable in the City of Saint Louis .
In 1870 the first Mounted Patrol District was at Laclede and Manchester near the Wedge House Hotel .
During this period the city boundary extended only to Jefferson Avenue,
but outside this boundary were many groups of highwaymen and bandits who would
rob farmers and other merchants on their way to the city to sell goods .
After robbing them, the thieves would hide the loot in the many caves that lined the area .
Since the thieves restricted their activity to night time,
the idea of having mounted officers patrol the outskirts of the city was an effort to combat these crimes .
It appears that the mounted patrol was successful in stopping these night robberies.
Photos
of
Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable
Forest Park Division
Saint Louis Missouri

1902 Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable Forest Park Division Saint Louis Missouri !
Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable
Forest Park Division in Forest Park on Clayton Avenue
Saint Louis Missouri .
Photo circa 1902

The Mounted District Station was built 1893 and police operations began August 1, 1893.   At the time of opening in 1893, the station was said to be the finest in Saint Louis and said to be the best in the country.   The building covers a surface of 189x98 feet and has an assembly and drill hall 63x48 feet.   At one end of the drill hall is a space set apart for the Captains’ and Sergeants’ rooms, 35x27 feet, and adjoining is the cell room, 35x21 feet, the cells being each 10x12.   In the drill room the probationary patrolmen are drilled for one and a half hours every eighth day.   The manual of arms is taught, a stand of fifty rifles being stored there for the purpose.   Every man has his own private locker, the sanitary and plumbing arrangements are of the best and everything is scrupulously neat and clean.   The entire building has steam heat.   The danger from fire is reduced to a minimum, but yet the station has its own fire department, having two reels of hose conveniently hung, which will reach any part of the building.   Forty acres of land are set apart for the station and stables, most of which is used for pasturage.

On the ground floor are the police stables presided over by Dr. Wm. R. Fanlkner, Superintendent, who buys all the horses.   The stable is a wonder.   There is no more suspicion of a bad odor about it, although eighty-five horses are kept there, than one would expect to find it the dining-room or parlor of a gentleman.   The floor is of asphalt, except the floors of the stalls, which is of yellow clay.   On that horses can stand with perfect ease to their feet, and there is none of that pawing and other symptoms of uneasiness so frequently visible in stables less complete.   The horses are bedded with a thick layer of shavings, and no dirt is permitted to accumulate for a single hour.   The Superintendent’s office is on the same floor and a close watch is kept to see that the men do their duty.   Any one who has the care of or who owns horses could get valuable pointers by a visit to the police stables at Forest Park.   There are seventy-two single stalls, 5x7 feet in the clear, and 12 box stalls, 12 feet square.

In 1896 the Saint Louis Mounted Police had forty-five mounted policemen.   They were divided into three patrols of fifteen each, only one patrol being being on duty at a time. There was seventeen beats.   Some of the beats were five square miles.   The mounted police covered the whole territory west of Grand, south of Manchester and west of Euclid, north of Clayton road.   The extreme north and south limits were seventeen miles apart.   Some of the territory of the mounted district is covered by the mounted patrolary patrolmen on foot.   The area embraces thirty-five square miles with a population of 55,000.   The territory embraces Calvary and Bellefonatine and all other large cemeteries and also coveres Forest Park, Tower Grove Park, O’Fallon Park and Carondelet Park.

The common ordinary downtown cop may envy his mounted brother and imagine that with a horse to ride, and one third less hours of duty life is to him a continued picnic.   When the mounted policeman is on dress parade on a fine day in the front ranks of the Veiled Prophet's or King Hotu’s retinue, with prancing steed and flashing sabre, he looks “out of sight,” But the picture is different when the mounted policeman is covered with mud from head to foot, wading knee deep in a slough of despond with his horse not “dead but gone before.”

The “copper” when he is first promoted to the “horse brigade” does not think his job half so easy the second day as he does the first, and the third day he wishes the animal had never been introduced as a means of transportation.   The mounted policeman gets no breaking in, save by experience.   There are men on the force who never mounted a horse in their lives until the day they started in as a mounted policeman.   They had to be instructed how to place the saddle and how to buckle it on, and they were in doubt whether the bit went in the mouth, or under the tail.   The raw recruits are more raw in places after after two or three days experience than they were at first.   About the third day they report sick, and lay off for a rest.   But they do not rest sitting down.   They eat from the mantelpiece and walk very painfully.   They suffer just as the school boy does after an old-fashioned spanking.

All the raw recruits undergo this painful ordeal, but they soon get over it.   But there are other troubles which beset the most experienced.   There are times when in chasing an evil-doer a horse is a handicap instead of a help.   A man may go through wire fences, climb railings, and penetrate narrow paths beset with trees and undergrowth where a horse cannot go.   Then the policeman has to abandon his horse.   He cannot afford to lose time looking for a place to hitch so he leaves the horse free.   The horse is well trained and will remain a reasonable length of time.   If his rider does not return within the limit set by the horse, the latter makes a bee line for the stable, leaving the luckless rider to follow on foot.   Imagine the joy of a walk of a few miles on a dark night in such bottomless mud as country roads are revelling in at this season.   This is an experience which the mounted policeman regularly has in all season.   It is really better to leave the horse free, because if an animal comes in alone, and the rider does not soon follow or report from the nearest call-box, it will be known that some accident has befallen him, and help will be sent.   Otherwise if he hitched his horse anywhere off an open rode, and was wounded or killed after dismounting, nothing would be known of it before daylight.

When the mounted policeman makes an arrest he handcuffs his prisoner and either makes him walk in front, while his captor rides, or, if he proves unruly or tries to escape, the policeman may have to dismount and hold the prisoner, while he leads the horse.   Sometimes he is not equal to this double task and he has to turn the horse loose.   The horse will invariabley return without delay to the stable.   If the arrest is made in reach of a car line, the policeman leaves his horse at some convenient place and takes his prisoner on the cars, returning for his horse afterward.   Except in the territory due west of the station and north of Baden the ground is fairly well covered by the street car system, although it may necessitate a walk of a mile or two over boggy roads to get to a car.

The mounted policeman has other troubles of his own besides mud and bad walking.   Severely cold weather is very much harder on any one mounted than afoot.   It is especially difficult to keep the feet warm and old Boreas blows his blasts with cruel glee through the whiskers and about the ears of a man on horseback.   In a driving rain, in sleet, snow and wind the mounted copper has not the sheltering walls of high buildings to protect him, and then in the open country where his beat is the temperature in winter is always several degrees colder than in the city.   The only compensation is that, being mounted, he can, and does, wear heavier clothing than a man on foot can conveniently carry around.   In extremely hot weather, too, there is no shady side of the street for the mounted policeman.   He has to take old Sol straight and the exercise of riding is more beating than walking at the pace of the ordinary policeman.

But take the spring and fall, when it is neither too hot nor too cold, and when the roads are in good condition, and the mounted policeman has decidedly the bulge over his unmounted brother.   The mounted policeman has a long beat to ride, and on most beats in all weathers he has to go it alone, as there are not enough men to double up, but ordinarily, in his sparsely settled territory arrests are few and far between and the officer in decent weather has a nice, pleasant job.

Then, too, he works fewer hours, which is a decided boon at all seasons.   The downtown policeman with a twelve-hours’ watch and generally court to attend in the morning, is on duty most of the time he is not eating or sleeping.   It is conceded that it is too great a strain on the men and better results could be obtained by three patrols of eight hours.   The Mounted District is conducted on the eight-hours’s system.   In fact, the morning watch is only seven hours, because for lack of early street car facilities it is impracticable to have the men report for duty as early as 6 o’clock.   As the watches are changed monthly, however, the men preserve an average of eight hours, the night men taking the extra hour of duty of the day men.   The first watch is from 7 a.m. till 2 p.m.; the second from 2 p.m. till 10 p.m.; the third from 10 p.m. till 7 a.m.

The men assemble for roll call at the hour for going on duty.   All they have to do is to saddle their horses.   The animals are cleaned and fed by the hostlers, of whom there is a day and night gang.   The policemen line up, mounted, in front of the station, and leave in a body at the word of command.   On returning from duty all they have do do is to clean their saddle kits and make out their reports to their respective Sergeants.   The Sergeant makes out reports to be forwarded to Chief Harrigan.   Then the men are off duty for sixteen hours unless they have a case in court.

The equipment of a mounted soldier is a navy revolver, carried in a holster furnished by the department, and a small baton, which as replaced the full-sized club formerly carried, a pair of hand-cuffs, and an extra round of cartridges, which, with the handcuffs, are carried in the saddle kit.   Each man has a saber and scabbard.   He is drilled in the use of this weapon, but never carries it except when on dress parade at the head of a street procession, or on similar occasions.   The rest of the time they are kept locked up in a glass case in the station-house assembly room.

The men when on duty are required to report by telephone every hour.   This is arranged so that half the men report at the hour, and the others at the half-hour, so that some officer is heard from every half hour, In so large a territory this is necessary.   The station has no patrol wagon, as the distances are too great and the roads too bad to render them available.   If an officer calls for help the only help that can reach is to send the next available man who reports.   Sometimes the next man to call up may be ten miles away, so that when a mounted policeman calls for assistance he is in luck if the trouble is not over long before he reaches him.   There were formerly seventy-two mounted policemen, but in the late “shake up” the force was reduced to forty-five.   But these are supplemented by twenty-two probationists, foot policemen who are stationed in the more thickly populated beats.   There are two two sub-stations in the district, the Tower Grove Station on Manchester Road and the station in O’Fallon Park.   The officers consist of Capt, Peter Reynolds, Office Sergeants Lally and Gaffney, Mounted Sergeants Kennedy, Dowd and Boland, and Patrol Sergeant Creecy, stationed at Tower Grove.

1902 Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable Forest Park Division with 54 Mounted Police Officer and their horses!
The original photo from 1902 is a foldout four pages wide with 54 police officers on their horses .
The police officer on the left of the Mounted Police Building is Captain G. T. McNamer, Commander of the Mounted Patrol in 1902 .
In 1925 the size of the Mounted Police began to be reduced because of the use of automobiles .
In 1936 only the Traffic Division used 12 horses housed at the Traffic Division Stables at Fifteenth and Spruce .
On April 9, 1948 the era of the Mounted Police came to an end and was abolished .
This Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable building in Forest Park was razed at some unknown date
and the area became space for the McDonnell Planetarium which was completed in 1963 .
1902 Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable Forest Park Division Saint Louis Missouri !
Photo circa 1900
Built 1893
Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable
Forest Park Division
Saint Louis Missouri .

1892 View of Forest Park police sub-station looking west Saint Louis Missouri !
1892 Saint Louis Mounted Police Sub Station
Forest Park Division
There was a sub-station in Forest Park at the center, Main Drive and Union .
Saint Louis Missouri .
Officers I.J. Donegan on steps and R.M. Kelley on horseback, 31 March 1892
 History's Time Portal to Old St. Louis Penny Post Card of the
Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station in the early days of Forest Park in Saint Louis Missouri ! Mounted Police Station in the early days of Forest Park Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station in the early days of Forest Park in Saint Louis Missouri !

Photo
of
Mounted Patrol Command Officers
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Mounted Patrol Command Officers Saint Louis Missouri !
May 10, 1934 .
Photo
of
Section 1 District Police Mounted Station
2720 Clifton
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Second District Mounted Police Station 2728 Clifton Saint Louis Missouri !
Erected 1896 .
Photo circa 2007
Served as the Section 1 (Clifton Heights or Second ) District Mounted Police Station till about 1937 .
On the right where a building addition now stands is where the mounted stable was .
This was a sub-station of the Mounted Police Station in Forest Park on Clayton Avenue and
bounded on the West and South by the City Limits,
on the East by Sharp, Carondelet Park, and Grand to Chippewa then west to Kingshighway to Lindell,
on the North along Lindell to the City Limits .
Photo
of
Section 2 District Police Mounted Station
8328 North Broadway
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Section 2 District Police Mounted Station 8328 North Broadway Saint Louis Missouri !
Erected 1896 .
photo circa early 1900s
Served as the Section 2 ( Baden ) Mounted Police Station till 1928 when it was closed .
This was a sub-station of the Mounted Police Station in Forest Park on Clayton Avenue and
bounded on the West by the City Limits,
on the East by the Mississippi River,
on the South by North Market,
on the North along Humboldt, Broadway, Taylor and Margaretta and Cora and Natural Bridge .
Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Officers in 1971 Saint Louis Missouri !
In 1971 when the Mounted Patrol Police returned to Forest Park the original ten horses of the Mounted Police Unit were named
Amigo, Blue Badge, Bullet, Cinder, Deputy, Mr. Duke, Ranger, Sarge, Sentry and Siren
by five-year-old Saint Louis kindergarten student Elaine Marie Sullivan, 3614 Alberta Street .
Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Officers in 1971 Saint Louis Missouri !
The Saint Louis Mounted Police returned to Forest Park April 3, 1971
due to a public outcry for more police protection in Forest Park as it was stated
" Forest Park is no longer the pastoral woodland which generations of Saint Louisans have enjoyed and have been proud of .
It has become a part of the urban jungle .  It must be reclaimed " .

Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable Forest Park Division Saint Louis Missouri !
Photo circa 2008
Built in 1919 to serve aeroplanes
Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable
Forest Park Division
Saint Louis Missouri .

Photo of Saint Louis Mounted Police Station and Stable Forest Park Division Saint Louis Missouri !
Photo circa 2008

This building once served as a hanger for the City's first commercial airport .
Its adjoining 100 acre landing field known as "Aviation Field" served private aeroplanes
as well as aircraft of the U.S. Aerial Mail Service .
Forest Park has been the site for Aeronautical activity since 1907,
and
that tradition continues today with the yearly balloon races .
This building was closed August 13, 2009 due to environmental contamination.
The horses and staff were move into a small barn structure on the parks department
maintenance grounds near the greenhouses north of Highway 40 in Forest Park.
The police mounted patrol unit was downsized from ten horses to four horses.
After almost four years away and completion of an $1 million renovation of the stable,
police horses moved back in to the barn in Forest Park on Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013.
Photo of Saint Louis Forest Park map Saint Louis Missouri !

Forest Park Forever ! Visit America's Greatest Urban Public Park at Forest Park Forever Web Site Forest Park Forever !
Photo of 1914 Map of Forest Park Saint Louis Missouri !
1914 Map of Forest Park
Mounted Police Station is lower left corner on Clayton .
1884 Description of Forest Park by Patrolman H. M. Jones
Forest Park is 4 ½ miles due west from the Court House . It has a frontage of one mile on King's Highway, and depth westwardly in parallel of 2 miles .
 It is the principal park of the city .  The Wabash Road runs regular trains daily to the park, and it can be reached by the West End Narrow Gauge Road,
also, which has its depot on Olive street just west of Grand avenue .  The Forest Park and Lindell Boulevards, which are fashionable drives, connect
the resort with the heart of the city .  The former is 150 feet wide and the latter 194 feet wide .  If the visitor can afford it he should hire a carriage and
make the trip to and from the Park by way of these boulevards .  Forest Park was established in 1875 and is not completed .  It comprises 1371 acres,
and although the gardener's art has not given its beautifying touches to this entire immense area, the rolling ground, the winding steams, the rustic bridge,
the pagodas, summer-houses and thousand and one other little spots of interest present a combination of scenery that is absolutely lovely to look upon .
One lake covers 50 acres; the drives are nicely laid out, and refreshment may be had a restaurant within the park .

Photo of Patrolman H. W. Jones !
1884 Description of Fair Grounds and Zoological Garden by Patrolman H. M. Jones
The Fair Gounds, which include the Zoological Garden, are situated on Grand avenue, between the Natural Bridge Road and Kossuth avenue,
and lie three and one-half miles northwest of the Court House .  They embrace 83 acres, beautifully laid out in walks and drives, and where
handsomely designed buildings are not dotting the ground, spreading shade trees, cool fountains or small lakes afford the visitor delight .
 The great Fair occurs here during the first week of each October, and on the Tuesday night of this week the famous Veiled Prophets give their
gorgeous street pageant .  Near the center of the grounds is the Amphi-theatre, the largest in the United States, which comfortably seats 25,000
in sight of the Arena, and can accommodate 25,000 on the promenade in the rear of the seats, from which space also all parts of the ring are visible .
 Horses are speeded in this ring, and cattle exhibited in the contests for premiums .  Under the management of Mr. Charles Green,
President of the Fair Association, the grounds have been beautified and improved to a surprising extent .  The magnificent new entrance of brick
and cut stone at the southeast corner of the grounds is one of his improvements, and there are many others, which have made the place
the great pleasure resort of ladies and children ever since Mr. Green assumed the management .  The Zoological Gardens within the grounds
include the rarest types of wild and domestic animals .  The earth, the air and sea contribute their most curious creatures to the collection,
which is not surpassed anywhere this side of Europe .  Each class has a building set apart for itself, the carnivore or flesh-devouring beasts
having their own quarters; the monkeys, theirs; the bears, theirs; the birds a place of their own, and so on .  These buildings are finished
in the highest style of modern architecture, and are of brick and stone .  They are equal to the buildings to be seen in the
Royal Zoological Garden of England .  The Grounds and Gardens are open all year round .  The admission fee is twenty-five cents .
 The Cass avenue, Locust street, red cars on Pine street, the Franklin avenue, and Jefferson avenue cars
all carry passengers to the main gate for five cents .
Photo
of
St. Louis Jockey Horse Racing Track
Fair Grounds Park
Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Saint Louis Horse Racing Track Saint Louis Missouri !
Photo circa 1902
The Saint Louis Jockey Club in 1883 was organized with racing on an old half mile track in Fair Grounds Park .
In 1885, a new mile track was opened, with a grandstand seating 15,000 and an elaborate new club building .
The club house was a three-story structure in high Victorian style, with a high-peaked slate roof, gables,
towers, cupola, and gentlemen’s amenities like a bowling alley and billiard room .
Elegantly appointed, with paneled walls, stained glass, ornamental urns, and oriental rugs,
the Jockey Club was considered one of the finest buildings of its type in the country .
Grandstand seating was available for other racing fans, who enjoyed the sight of elephants pulling sledges to smooth the track.
The track's finest hour occurred in 1886 when St. Louis hosted the National Derby .
In 1905, Joseph A. Folk campaigned for Governor on a platform for reform
and
the duties of a duly elected official to protect the public from the local politician .
Governor Joseph A. Folk election delivered a deathblow to horse racing .
That same year 1905 the Jockey Club closed its track, and the clubhouse and the grandstand were demolished  .

 "Holy Joe"
Read the book about Police Politics in Saint Louis ! Read the book about 1904 Political Control of Police in Saint Louis Read the Book
This could be a lesson plan for today about what happens when there is State Control verse City Control of the Police Department .

  Return To  

Saint Louis Police Veteran's Association Home Web Page! Saint Louis Police Veteran's Historical Illustrated Photos Main Page Saint Louis Police Veteran's Association Home Web Page!