St Louis Police Veteran's Association City of St Louis Metropolitan Police Department City of Saint Louis Missouri Photo of Police Drill & Inspection City of Saint Louis City Hall Saint Louis Missouri
Photo circa 1902 .
Saint Louis City Hall Police Drill & Inspection Saint Louis Missouri .
The photo was taken looking North from Clark .
Twelfth Street is on the right and Thirteenth is on the left .
Where the drill is taken place what is now the City Hall Parking Lot .
Those are horse drawn wagons on the streets .
In the center and to the right is a Pierre Laclede's Statue ( now facing Market at 13th ) and two cannons .
This area was called "Washington Square" .
Thomas Rosser Roemer
Thomas Rosser Roemer was born in Bedford County Virginia in 1866.
After serving in the Spanish American War, he moved to Saint Louis.
On January 4, 1900 he joined the Saint Louis Police Department.
He resigned on November 1, 1912.
Upon his resignation, he was asked to head a unit being formed
within the police department known as the
" ZOUAVES ".
The unit was to be known as a precision drill team.
Thomas Rosser Roemer accepted the position as Drillmaster
along with the rank of Captain.
Captain Rosser Roemer remained the Drillmaster until he died on October 25, 1924.
The unit was officially disbanded in 1925.
Photo of City of Saint Louis City Hall Saint Louis Missouri
Photo circa 1902 .
Saint Louis City Hall 1200 Market Saint Louis Missouri .
Looking North West from Twelfth and Clark .
Saint Louis' City Hall was built using Missouri pink granite that contrasts with pink-orange
Roman brick on the upper floors and buff color sandstone trim located in an irregular pattern
around the window openings and the roof is burgundy-red clay tiles .
It took fourteen years to completely build City Hall and was completed in 1904 .
Construction began on July 19, 1890 and was completed on November 5, 1904 .
The final cost was only $1,787,159.16.
Inside is the glorious marble rotunda with its grand staircase, three floors of colonnaded balconies,
arches and vast skylight above the main room of interest is the Board of Aldermen's chambers .
There are interesting murals on the Market Street and Clark Avenue entrances .
The design of the building was inspired and roughly modeled after the
Hotel de Ville or City Hall of Paris France .
The central tower and lesser spires near each end of the Twelfth Boulevard facade
were removed about 1938 because of structural problems .
The prior old City Hall was popularly known as the "City Barn" and located at Eleventh and Chestnut Streets .
Photo of City of Saint Louis City Hall in 1885 Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of City of Saint Louis Downtown from the South 1929 Saint Louis Missouri
Photo of Mounted Patrol's Horse Watering Trough Police Headquaters 1929
Where the present City Saint Louis Police Lab Building now stands.